30 Days of Video Games Day 6 - Most Annoying Character

Editor's Note: I thought we could try something different today. For days six, seven and eight of the 30 Days of Video Games, we actually recorded our conversations,in which we discussed that day's topic as a group. Because days six and seven were recorded at the same time, the original intention was to upload them together. Transcribing these conversations however ended up being more time-consuming than I'd originally assumed. So, here is the day 6 conversation, and the next conversation will come at a later time.

Participants
Rene, German, Sean, Mike

R: Days six and seven of the 30 Days of Video Games have passed already, so let's try to tackle both of those two days at once. Starting from Day 6, we're going to be talking about the 'Most Annoying Character' in video games. So let's think about who's annoying.

S: Annoying in what context?

R: There are no definitions provided, so … I think, any character that's notably unwanted - the game could be stronger without them. They're just … pissing you off, like you want to punch them in the face?

S: Like Hope?

G: Hope?

R: That's actually my choice! It's weird that you said 'Hope' because, yeah…

G: Oh, I actually haven't played that game.

R: Hope Estheim from Final Fantasy XIII. He spends the entire first forty hours of the game seething and whining and kind of comes off as a kind of one-dimensional character. And the whole thing kind of fizzles out by the time they reach Gran Pulse. The way they wrapped up his conflict was kind of unsatisfying.

S: It actually kind of fizzles out before that.

R: Yeah, it kind of does!

S: Like, it comes up briefly at moments and then just fizzles out very quickly.

R: And what really makes Hope annoying - on top of the fact that he's not a very enjoyable character - is the fact that he's the most useful magic-user in the game by far… so you're probably gonna have him in your party.

S: Sadly.

R: Yeah. So Hope, definitely for me most annoying character. Especially because you have to use him if you want a great party. He's gotta be there so you're gonna have to put up with his crap. I think he knows he can get away with it.

G: That's such a good example that I can't think of one.

R/S: *Hahaha*



My Choice: Hope Estheim. Don't be fooled by that innocent-looking face. He wants to hurt you. And he apparently can't shut up about it.


R: You know what I hear a lot is the dog from Duck Hunt.

G: …Really?

S: I like that dog!

R: Yeah, that's what surprised me! I never really had a beef with that dog! But he comes up a lot in these kinds of articles - somebody mentioned him in a Cracked article, and I've seen him come up in a few other '30 days' lists.

G: Well… we're not opposed to him in anyway.

R: Right. So what makes him so annoying? I mean… he laughs at you when you fail. Games find many ways to do this.

G: People have fragile egos.

R/S: *Hahahaha!*

S: I'd have to say that I find mimicking characters the most annoying.

G: What do you mean?

S: Like Seth from Street Fighter IV. He pretty much just mimics other people's move lists.

R: Oh yeah. Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat.

S: Yeah.

R: Speaking of mimicking characters, I don't know if it counts as a character but mimics from RPGs… you know, treasure chests that turn into enemies.

G: Yeah, those are pretty annoying.

S: Especially when you don't even get anything good afterwards.

R: So Sean, who's your choice then? For a most annoying character?

S: *Pauses*

R: You know, if you guys had to choose one.

G/S: *Pause*

R: Okay, let me rephrase that, you guys have to choose!

G/S: *Hahahaha!*

G: Right. I'd say that my 'most annoying character' would be Sonic. Not for any of his games, but because of the personality that people have given him.

R: Oh like how he's supposed to be arrogant and…

G: And hyper and kind of obnoxious. Those kinds of characters just annoy me.

R: Yeah they kind of… they kind of mess around with Sonic a lot.

G: The unfortunate thing is that if Sonic was a real person, he'd almost be like… a worn-out drug user.

R: Well, as a real person, that version of Sonic would definitely be really annoying.


German's Choice: Sonic the Hedgehog. The picture says it all. Admit it - if you knew somebody that acted like this in real-life... you'd either tell him to stop being such a douche bag or you'd punch him in the face.


G: What about you, Sean?

S: I dunno… it's pretty hard. I guess if I had to pick one, it'd have to be Seth.

R: Yeah? Seth?

S: Yeah, I mean, whenever you fight him, he's just so… cheap. I mean, he was a new villain and that was kind of exciting but he sort of comes off without a personality and when you fight him he just uses all the other move lists so you're kind of like… 'really'?


Sean's Choice: Seth from Street Fighter IV. The fighting game equivalent of an uninspired cover band.


*Mike chimes in*

M: Slippy Toad from Star Fox is really annoying.

R: Yeah, people complain about Slippy all the time, hahaha. I don't know though, like, I don't hate him.

M: Yeah! I don't hate him either! Like - I see his usefulness but he's still really annoying!

R: Hahaha, yeah I see what you're getting at.

M: But if I had to pick one… it'd actually be the sun from Mario 3.

S: The one that chases you around?

M: Yeah! As a kid, that thing traumatized me!

*Everyone laughs*


Mike's Choice: The sun from Super Mario Bros. 3. Interestingly enough, this very same night, Mike got his revenge on the sun, bashing it in the face with a turtle-shell, thus dooming the Mushroom Kingdom and the rest of humanity to perpetual darkness.


R: Hmm…I can still think of a few more, mostly from the recent Final Fantasy games, but there's no reason to keep riding Final Fantasy - I've been pretty hard on them as it is. I like Basch though. So there. That's a compliment for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment