30 Days of Video Games Day 2 - Your Favourite Character

Do you even have to ask? Mega Man, aka Rock Man is easily my favourite character.

Anybody who knows me really well knows the answer to this one. But let's be serious here. I'm talking about Rock Man classic! I like X well enough, but the traditional blue bomber is where it's at!


Pictured above: Where it's at.


Mega Man 2 for the Nintendo Entertainment System was one of the first games that we owned, and the first game that I became truly obsessed with. I believe my cousin in Miami had just gotten a Sega Genesis when he sent us his NES, along with a royal sampler of titles like the first two Mario games, arcade vertical shooter Xevious and the game that would help shape my love of music and of Japan, Mega Man 2.


This awful photo features another kind of royal sampler, select Mega Man items of great personal value.



Signed by possibly the shyest mangaka in Japan. Great guy though. Turns out he did the sprite artwork for some of my favourite SNES games. Read: Actraiser 2.


So... what about you? Who is your favourite character in video games?

6 comments:

Unknown | May 17, 2011 at 12:19 AM

This one is so hard, there a tonne of great video game characters I love. While I appreciate the simplicity of just liking Mario or Sonic (whom are both eventually going to be tattooed onto me...), I can't ignore the great modern characters of Nathan Drake, or Gordan Freeman. Dig even further and you get characters like Niko from GTA4... So many great characters.

But If I had to pick one character from all the video games I love, I think I have to go with Ryu from Street Fighter. It's the one series Where I haven't missed a single game and the first time I beat the game is almost always with Ryu.

Rene | May 17, 2011 at 2:48 AM

It's easy to love the iconic game characters that we were raised on because of the personal meaning that we've assigned to them. Saying Mega Man for me is an honest answer that I can't shy away from for this reason. It goes without saying of course that there are plenty of contemporary characters - more intentionally sophisticated characters - that are completely deserving of the mantle (because you're perfectly right - Gordon Freeman, Nathan Drake... these are great characters! Not to name countless more...).

Rene | May 17, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Glad to see some Niko love by the way! I thought he was a great character!

the-kid36 | May 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Well I am sure you already know who is my number 1 is. The Lone Wolf himself, Terry Bogard! :D

Rene | May 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Ryo Sakazaki! The entire Art of Fighting team actually, hahahaha, KoF is the best!!!! Everyone at the store looks at me weird these days as I talk about why SNK is better than Capcom... I've become that guy!!!

Michal | May 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM

gotta be sonic... he is a mess right now but he is going through identity rehab.

Post a Comment